Kingston Wheelers CC History

The Kingston Wheelers Cycling Club was formed in 1924. Six cyclists met in a cafe on the Portsmouth Road near Kingston police station. Bill Orpin was amongst these and Gil Jessop - to whom our open 'Sporting 14' time trial is a memorial - joined the club in about 1930.The second world war curtailed activities for a number of years. The last club run was in 1941 and most members were called up for service. Two members were killed in service, one in the English Channel and one in Burma. Bill Orpin and Gil Jessop served in the armed forces and after demob, they reformed the club in Chessington in 1953. Although the club only had a few members at this time, it grew steadily until there were 18 members and they could no longer meet in a member's house. The club met in different pubs and schools until it found a more permanent home in the Latchmere social club in Ham, where it met during the 1980s. This brief history was given by one former president, Gil Jessop, to another, John Bornhoft, on 20 January 1990. Both are sadly missed.

Nowadays the members meet socially in Kingston's Market Place as well as taking part in many forms of cycling, including road racing, cyclo cross, time trials, touring and of course the club runs which start in Surbiton. The club currently promotes three road races, a time trial, a hill climb and many internal events for it's membership. We've got a large membership and you'll find many of us on the roads of London, Surrey and far beyond.