Feather and Bentley rule on Leith Hill
Andrew Feather (Champion System UK) and Olivia Bentley (Vision Innovative Leisure Racing Team) put in dominant performances to take victory in the 2019 John Bornhoft Memorial Hill Climb. A dry but very breezy morning on Leith Hill greeted the 48 starters and the spectators who had come out in force to see Feather don his national stripes as reigning UK hill climb champion.
With the wind behind the riders on the climb, fast times were expected, and the results did not disappoint. Feather rode a storming 3.31.2 to fall just shy of the course record and finish 13.7 seconds ahead of second placed Charlie Mactear (High Wycombe CC) who edged out Kingston Wheelers CC’s own Mark Aldred in 3rd by 0.9 seconds. Mactear, still a junior, will be one to watch closely over the next few years, as will 13-year-old Finlay Hawker (VC de Londres) who finished 18th overall. Bentley recorded a time of 4.37.0, to take the win by 34.3 seconds from Gemma Hobson (Sussex Nomads CC).
Kingston Wheelers CC took home the team prize with Aldred’s strong performance backed up by Neil Grunshaw (4:26:00, 21st), just ahead of Harry Bunnell (4:28:00, 23rd).
Men’s Top 5
- Andrew Feather (ChampionSystem UK) 3:31:2
- Charlie Mactear (J) (High Wycomeb CC) 3:44:9
- Mark Aldred (Kingston Wheelers CC) 3.45.8
- Chris Newberry (Redhill CC) 3:46:1
- David Ross (LFGSS CC) 3:49:4
Women’s Top 3
- Olivia Bentley (Vision Innovative Leisure Racing Team) 4:37:0
- Gemma Hobson (V) (Sussex Nomads CC) 5:11:3
- Kate Palmer (Brixton Cycles Club) 5:15:1
- Charlie Mactear (High Wycombe CC) 3:44:9
- Finlay Hawker (VC de Londres) 4:24:6
- Peter Tadros (Train Sharp) 4:04:2
- Gemma Hobson (Sussex Nomads CC) 5:11:3